The ritual murder of a prostitute in a bedroom in decrepit Pentecost Alley would ordinarily cause little commotion, but under the victim’s body was found a Hellfire Club badge inscribed with the name of the prominent Finlay Fitzjames, son of a wealthy businessman and soon to be appointed as an ambassador. The case appears closed when the prostitute’s pimp confesses, is tried and hanged, but then another identical murder takes place, and the case is thrown wide open again. Emily befriends the sister of Finlay Fitzjames and together they unmask the real culprit while Pitt battles against the accusations of police incompetence.
- "Beautifully crafted." Cosmopolitan,
- "The novel has a totally contemporary feel and is admirably well-written." The Guardian,
- Book of the Month Club Main Selection
- San Francisco Chronicle Bestseller List
- Nominated for an Edgar Award